Thursday 20 March 2008

Ben Lomond...mental!

Well folks, I rode Fort Bill last year and boy-oh did my arms and hands hurt. Yesterday, I climbed Ben Lomond and the descent reminded very much of the Fort Bill feeling!

Passing climbers on the way I had some friendly banter, though I reckon they all had me down as insane. Up top, and with about a quarter of the 3195ft/974m climb still to go, I took the advice of some descending walkers and my own sanity that 60mph+ cross winds weren't worth the last wee bit of the climb. So, I got my armour on, full face at the ready and off I went.

In summary...rocky as fuck! Bottom half is more rideable and enjoyable, almost a techy singletrack feel to it. No end of twists and tricks thrown up to catch you out. No spills for me though and only one unpass-able section.

I was out riding to test some twenty6 products for issue 6 or 7 (which...ahem, dunno!). A big shout also has to go to the guys at Craig MacMartin Cycles in Glasgow for sorting my bike out, a wee brake service was just what the doctor ordered before attempting this descent!

Now for some snaps...
It's all about the twenty6 Dualielevers (and the bar ends!)


Camo, white, pink...whatever!


This was the only un-rideable section, it gets worse above the staircase here


Epic descent...the trail disappears in the distance...if only there was a helicopter drop off service!


As it got bleak up top, I decided to get a quick snap in, before descending at speed over what can only be described as "rocky as fuck" until the bottom half where it was mint